Tuesday, October 14, 2008

FHE for 4-year olds



Kylie is in a very curious faze right now. Last week we spent thirty minutes talking about hands and why we have them and what kinds of things we can do with them. Today...it was Jesus Christ. I was cleaning my room and Kylie was doing her usual; pulling ALL of the photo albums off my book shelf and looking at pictures. She came across our gospel art picture kit and began flipping through the pictures. Then she asked a major question: "Mommy, why does Jesus live in my heart? Why can't I see him?" Up to this point I thought I was doing pretty good at having family home evening. We usual do it weekly and have a special lesson and game. My mother-in-law Sharon has given us so many FHE activity and lesson materials and we have had so much fun with them. I didn't realize Kylie was old enough for me to be teaching more. So far we have focused on the usual Sunbeam level teachings such as: "Choose the Right"; "I am thankful for my family"; "I can tell the truth" type of lessons. She knows a few of the basic stories of the gospel, but I was not prepared for these in depth questions. Every answer I gave her presented an even more complex question. I think it must be difficult for a 4-year old to understand resurrection. She asked how Jesus died, and when I tried to explain it to her she just looked hurt and confused about it. She told me that she wanted to give Jesus a hug to tell him it would be okay and that she is sorry He had to get hurt.
I am realizing how tender our young kids are. They have this budding curiosity and eagerness to learn that I envy. I know I sometimes get so caught up in my own life and my own challenges and feelings of inadequacy that I forget the basics. I forget that there is someone out there who loves me beyond my imagination. If my little girl can proudly tell me that Jesus lives in her heart, why shouldn't I make room for him in mine? I hope I helped her to understand and learn something today. I know she taught me more in that one conversation about the life and love of Christ than I have ever realized. If you ever wonder if you have a testimony.....try explaining that concept to a curious preschooler. In the end....you'll know. Thank you Kylie for helping me learn something about myself today!



6 comments:

Sharon said...

woah...That brought me to tears. What a sweetheart she is! Good Point Kylie! She can teach us all!

Kathy said...

What a beautiful thing. I love when children want to know these things. It is so wonderful to teach them and see the understanding show in a different way than we adults understand. Children are so simple. I wish we adults could be more simple like that. Doesn't it help you understand the phrase become like a little child even more.

Trista said...

Laura, that was beautiful. Thanks for sharing that!

Adam and Sarah said...

That was really cool. Kids often have the most amazing insight about the truly important things. I'm glad you shared that story, thanks.

Serin said...

That was awesome! Thank you! :)

Amber said...

Hello Laura! This is Amber Goddard. I would love to do a photoshoot for your family! Just let me know when will work for you. Thank you for your comments on my son, he is very loved if you can't tell! You can call or text me at 435-764-5145. Talk to you soon!