Thursday, January 22, 2009

Journals...Journals....Journals

When I was about 13 years old, there was a woman in our ward who spoke in Sacrament meeting on "Pioneer Day" Sunday about family history and instead of focusing on the past, she talked about what we can do today to preserve our history. She has 8 children, and brought with her 8 journals to use as examples. In her talk, she read little bits of journal entries to the congregation and I have never forgotten her example to me. So...the one thing I have actually been good at (don't even ask me about my failure in the scrapbooking dept.) has been keeping journals.
When I found out that I was pregnant, I bought a journal and started writing in it. I wrote all my pregnancy symptoms, and my feeling throughout my pregnancy. I wrote about the first time I felt them move, and names I was considering for them. I wrote pages and pages about their birth story, and their time as a newborn. Terrence has put a few things in their journals as well. Their journals include first words, silly moments, vacation stories, all with dates, and times to back them up. I guess my reason for doing this mainly, is because I want them to know and understand how much they are loved. I want them to know about all the nights I stayed up holding my belly wondering about the person growing inside. I want them to know how many in depth discussions I had with them while rocking and nursing them about my hopes for their futures and how much they are loved.
I'm still not exactly sure when I will give them their journals. Maybe for their weddings, or high school graduations, but I do know this: having those memories written down has been such a blessing to me on the hard days. I know that there will probably be times in the future when they will feel forgotten or unimportant in the bussiness of family life, but someday....they will have a journal kept by a mother who loves them more than anything to serve as proof of that love.

7 comments:

The Robinson's said...

That is so cool I wish I were better at the journal thing, now scrapbooks I can do but sometimes I wish I was good at Journals, I always seem to do good for a year or so and then its over.
I love how you have done this and will give it to your girls.

Britt's Clan said...

That is so cool Laura!! I wish I would have done something like that. Scott laughs at me for keeping my picture books he would really love me having journals all over the house too. LOL

Kerrie said...

I suck at journaling! I wish I were better. I might do it for a week and that's it.

Trista said...

I need to take a page out of your book (not litterally) and start to keep a few pages of history in my own. Thanks for being a good example to me!

Monica Bingham said...

Oh that is so touching. I wish I would have thought to do something like that. That is so sweet for your girls. What a treasure it will be for them to have someday.

Sharon said...

I attempted that. Terr has what maybe 5 pages! Keep it going, it will be such a treasure. Your kids will always know they are loved! You are the BEST MOMMIE!

PABST FAMILY said...

Okay, I know you got the cool part from me but putting it into practice like this just rocks. I'm so thankful that you were paying attention that Sunday and your kids will have a priceless treasure because of it.